This is the view from the end of the 17th century north wall which forms one side of the entrance to Lyme Regis Harbour.
At one time this section was detached from the main beach but now it is accessible at all times. The three cannons on the wall were excavated in 1974 and date from 1601 to 1614. They were last used in 1690 against the French Admiral Tourville. The gardens
behind the beach were being reconstructed at the time of this photograph in 2006 as part of the Lyme Regis coastal protection scheme.